Wednesday, November 7, 2012

It's a love/hate relationship

As the weather has slowly (or quickly, depending on your location) cooled off I have had to reacquaint myself with running in the cooler weather. This had me weighing the pros and cons of running in the heat versus running in the cold. So here, in no particular order, are the reasons I love/hate running in the cold:

1. I don't sweat as much which means less chafing and painful burning of my eyes.
 *However, I still sweat, which just makes me colder when the wind hits me.

2. With less humidity in the air I can breath easier and it doesn't feel like I'm running through a river.
*The trade off is that the cold air makes my lungs burn and my nose clog up/run like crazy.

3. I don't have to get up before the crack of dawn to run outside and beat the heat of the sun.
*I actually enjoy the quietness and solitude that running this early delivers. I like focusing on my run without having to worry about cars, dogs, or other people.

4. I get to go and buy fun cold weather running gear that gets me excited for my runs.
*After a few miles, I get so hot that I no longer need all the fun gear I spent mucho mula on, but then I'm stuck carrying it.

5. I really enjoy long sleeved shirts since my arms are always cold and I don't have to worry about straps falling or baggy short sleeves bothering me.
*I have some weird OCD thing where I constantly push my sleeves up my arm and them pull them down again when I am uncomfortable or anxious which tends to slow me down while running.
6. When it is cool enough to run in the daylight I am free to run anywhere, without having to stick to the lighted sidewalks.
*I live and run on an Air Force base, where the planes start flying early, so I might as well be running outside the Atlanta airport with all the noise and air pollutants I have to deal with. 
 All in all, I do like when the weather gets a little cooler but anything below 50 and I'm hesitant to leave the warmth of my bed/couch/house. If I can overcome my aversion to the cold, my new love for running will hopefully continue and I will conquer the winter blues like a boss.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment