This was the preview of the hill as we were driving in today
As I wrote yesterday, I set out knowing that no matter what I would get a PR in the race today but of course I still had a finishing time in mind. I wanted to finish in about 45 minutes or average a 9:00 min/mile pace. My first mile was 8:00 minutes exactly and as I always do I started out a bit too fast so the rest of my miles were a bit slower but nothing over a 9:00 minute pace. Following is just a snippet of the randomness that keeps me going through these races:
- All the walkers are messing with my momentum
- Random butterflies hitting me in the face
- Then later on I played a game with the butterflies since they wanted to fly along beside me: they were encouraging me to keep my pace up, flying along and then attacking if i slowed down.
- Old dude drafting off of me, hacking and spitting all over my back.
- I should have worn sunscreen, the sun is burning through my skin and into my soul.
- My encouragement halfway through was passing the hubby (later on he said I crushed his time and his spirit ha ha.)
- I'm really tired of this downhill.
- This last mile is going to be the death of me, straight flat with the 100 degree sun beating down.
- I'm celebrating national talk like a pirate a few days late as sweat drips in my eye and I walk to the bathroom with one eye squenched and say arrgggh to my husband.
42:29!!! This awesome time also got me first place in my age group and a new trophy for the shelf. Though I don't set out to run for the bling, just to challenge myself, a little sparkly makes the race that much better.
Don't you just love the bling?